Once I was able to sober up for some time, it’s been more than a year, I find myself left with the damaged gut. While drinking I never realized how bad it was, I guess it is a primary reason for my anxiety and not feeling well in recovery. I found out that digestion issues can cause anxiety by randomly googling stuff, it is so true but surprising at the same time.
I should never have drunk tons of beer on an empty stomach, the alcohol abuse and frequent vomiting did so much damage that even after more than a year of complete abstinence I am still actively paying the price, although my digestion has dramatically improved over time.
Surprisingly acid reflux causes anxiety
The first year in recovery was hell. I would throw up almost every day due to inability to digest food and acid flux. My fear used to be through the roof almost every day, I still didn’t seek any medical attention. Beer is highly acidic and drinking by the tons every other day will surely do its job.
After experiencing anxiety emergency recently at work when I had to use medication to save myself from major embarrassment after foolishly getting a strong coffee from vending machine I need to ask myself: When will I learn? I am mad at myself, I mean even today, on my day off, I am doing the same thing, drank two cups of coffee on empty stomach, poor diet and experiencing mild anxiety due to poor digestion.
The problem is that food and snacks have become significant reward and pleasure for me. I have relapsed after a year on not drinking soda and coffee. Abstaining from them inevitably lowered my acid flux. I know what I need to do but yet I am doing the opposite. Sounds familiar, doesn’t it? Just like having a drinking problem.
Substances that cause acid flux after quitting drinking
- Soda. It is highly acidic, plus unwanted calories with foreseeable future of diabetes. But that sweet sugar and bubbles taste so good!
- Coffee. Caffeine causes anxiety and drinking on an empty stomach can surely wake up the acid flux. To give up coffee is too much to ask.
- Cigarettes. I sometimes smoke, it is truly cancer. I am stopping this now- bad for acid flux. That’s not a big deal for me, done
- No exercise, especially on my days off, all I do is stay home and lay in bed or play computer games. Lack of being active messes up my body and I never feel well on my first day at work.
- Eating processed foods, which is almost everything we buy in grocery store. Substituting processed food for home food, vegetables and fruits can make a tremendous difference in improving digestion. All those flavors, salt, and sugars make my stomach go crazy because the food isn’t natural.
How to Cure GERD and Heartburn
Alcohol acid reflux remedies that worked for me
- The most common one is going to the doctor or getting over the counter anti-acid medications like Prilosec. It does work temporarily, but long-term side effects aren’t pretty
- Chamomile tea helps to promote healthy digestion, but it is not that immediate fix so I can’t use it at work when emergency strikes, it is more for making me chillaxed after work and add-on to anti-acid maintenance
- Eating three times a day, small portions and taking my time to chew food. It might sound so simple, but when I started doing that in the past, it has helped me tremendously. I still need to learn to eat mindfully because I swallow my food like beer and eat once a day stuffing myself to the maximum
- Baking soda. It has a lot of sodium so watch out, but if you can get over the bad taste (use one tablespoon per glass with water), it will diffuse the acid.
- Apple cider vinegar. Take a few tablespoons with water before eating or throughout the day. It has to be an apple one because it is the only vinegar that our bodies turn into high PHP even though it is acidic. Or eating apples will help too.
- Activated charcoal. You might have to buy it online. If you do, buy it in tablets not pills. Activated charcoal is burned wood it is used through all emergency rooms when you get poisoned. You swallow about 3-4 tablets, and they will soak up all the bad things including acid. Charcoal is also used in filtering water from contaminants including in fish tanks(that’s non-human consumption one). Be careful if you take any medications, consult your doctor first before taking it. It’s worlds oldest remedy.
- Flax seed tea. It is super nutritious. You can usually buy it at any major store in the supplements section. I usually drink the tea before lunch or in the morning.It is highly alkaline, keeps my hunger down and acid in check.
The Power of Addiction and The Addiction of Power: Gabor Maté